Monday 18 February 2019

Good thoughts

It seems that I usually blog when I'm down, or when I want to rant.

Here is something nice.

So this period is my notice period. I tendered my resignation last week and 8th of March will be my last day at work.

I thought to myself, maybe I'll just work for 3 years in the new place, and I can go overseas to take a short course. For example, I can go to Japan to take a 3 months - 1 year Japanese language course.

So I googled how much it would take and how much I should save up. It turns out that it may take around 1.5 million yen, ie around $20k SGD.

That's like, a lot.

If I really have the money, I would think to invest it instead...

So I got depressed.
Maybe it's not realistic. Maybe I would never take a short course in Japan. If I got married surely I won't be able to live my family to take that course.

Then the old devil came. He whispered to me, "How nice, people who are born into a rich family. Look at A and B, they're studying in Japan right now. Isn't that what you've been wanting?"

Well, it's true. If you put it that way, life can be depressing. Imagine living in US, seeing the Hollywood stars and because you're born poor, you know you won't be a Hollywood star. Well, that's not true. Maybe if you work hard enough, you too can be a star.

Taking a short course in Japan is not unrealistic. I can save up and I can achieve it one day. I'm just afraid that the whole experience might not be as good as I expected.

So in this case, is it better to not have a dream at all? You won't feel the feeling of despair that comes from not being able to achieve your dream.

You can choose to despair. But you can also choose to be happy.

To make the best out of the present moment. You can go to Japan and not be happy. But you can choose to be happy, since you're in Japan anyway. I'm not happy because I keep wanting to go to Japan. I keep looking at the future that might not be attainable.

Instead, I should look at the present. I'm currently in Singapore. I should make the most out of my presence in Singapore. Have I explored Singapore? Have I tried all the nice food available? I should make my life in Singapore happy. If I can't even make my present life happy, I won't be able to be happy anywhere else.

Happiness is made by yourself. It's not something that is given to you. You choose to be happy. You can change your condition to make you happy.

--

The current challenge is to lose weight. I don't like how I look and how I feel. Now it's up to me to change it so I can be happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment